HRF (Housing Retention Fund)

The Housing Retention Fund is available to assist residents who are in arrears of rent or mortgage payments, utility arrears, those who require last month’s rent, or require assistance with moving expenses or set up benefits.  Ontario Works (OW) and Ontario Disability Support Plan (ODSP) recipients can apply to the Housing Retention Fund through the local Ontario Works office.  Residents who are not in receipt of Ontario Works or Ontario Disability Support are asked to contact their local Housing Resource Centre at 705-739-0485 to book an appointment


Recipients of Canada Pension Plan (CPP),  Employment Insurance (EI), Workplace Safety and Insurance Benefits (WSIB), Ontario Works (OW), Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP), and working individuals.

Assistance is provided to anyone who is determined to be eligible once every 2 years (24 months) for a maximum of up to $2200 total.

Note: For utility assistance you must have a disconnect notice and for Rental arrears you must have notice of eviction. For mortgage, you must have letter stating the bank will not defer payment.

How to apply:

OW and ODSP recipients are required to complete a 1-page application form which can be obtained from their case worker at the OW office or the local Housing Resource Centre.

Applicants must contact their worker to advise of application.

For all other applications: individuals/families must contact the Housing Resource Centre for their area. Call at 705-739-0485, or Toll-Free at: 1-833-726-9082, to book an appointment.

NOTICE: Effective April 1 2021, all applications for  Housing Retention will need to be made directly to the County of Simcoe, please call 705-722-3132 Ext. 1833

Please Note: Residents of South Simcoe can reach Contact for assistance.