The Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) was created to help individuals or families who are struggling to pay their electricity bills throughout the year.
The program provides a one-time financial assistance grant of up to $500 per year, or $600, if electric heat is used. This grant is available to low-income or special circumstance residents who meet program criteria, whose utility accounts are in arrears and are faced with the threat of disconnection.
* Hydro One (customers throughout Ontario)
* Enbridge Gas (customers throughout Ontario)
* Union Gas (customers throughout Ontario)
* Veridian Connections (customers throughout Ontario)
* Inn Power, formerly Innisfil Hydro (Simcoe County customers)
* Alectra Utilities (formerly Powerstream) (Simcoe County, York Region and North York customers)
Funding may be available to low-income customers of natural gas or electricity distributors (and unit sub-metering providers) experiencing difficulty paying current arrears. A decision will be based on several factors including long-term viability of the account. A disconnection notice is not required to be eligible
How to apply:
Call the United Way LEAP office at: 1-855-487-5327.
Eligible customers will then be directed to the closest Resource Centre for pre-screening by telephone to book a follow-up interview.
Documents required for interview include:
Photo ID for everyone in the home
Current utility bill
Copy of lease or mortgage
Proof of household income for everyone over the age of 18 years
A bank statement showing 30 days prior to the application date